Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Truth & Reconciliation in the U.S.A?

Note: I received this comment by email from a "white" person I know. Although it's not exactly a question, I think it leads to a very obvious one: Why has no one in any mainstream (or as far as I know "offstream", media ever made this suggestion?:

Dear RaceMan,
Re: IS BARACK OBAMA THE GREAT WHITE HOPE?

I’ve already written to Rev. Wright, that first week, and got a great, warm letter back.

I call for a Truth and Reconciliation Commission such as they had in South Africa, in which everybody confessed what they had done, nobody was imprisoned for it, but they found a way to get out of the morass and build a new future. I’ve heard some people speak on this, and it’s still hard over there (you don’t get over a centuries-old situation overnight), but at least people are trying.

We haven’t got to the point of acknowledging what the whole world knows: our guilt and shame in pursuing empire, and thinking we’re so great. Let’s bring all the military bases back home and get about our business while other countries get about theirs.
Not in my lifetime, I’ll bet, but at least we can call for confession.
A "white" Person of Conscience

Dear WPC,
I think a Truth & Reconciliation Commission, U.S.A. is a great idea. I've thought about it ever since Desmond Tutu oversaw the original in South Africa. I'm sure many other AfrAmericans have thought about it too, if not in name, in effect. The idea of our nation finally confronting what Condi Rice, of all people, recently called its Founding Flaw, is always on my mind. But you are the first "white" person I've ever heard address it.

Why?

Is it because "white" people are so mis-educated that they have no clue of the role slavery and the idea of white supremacy played in the colonialization of Euro-America and the founding and eventual economic success of its United States?

Is it because "white" Americans are so morally deficient that they don't see the irreconcilable difference between what America professes itself to be and what it actually is? - And how that difference makes everything we say about human rights and democracy a joke in the eyes of the world?

Is it just hypocrisy, pure and simple?

Or is it fear of inviting the wrath of the greedy, power-hungry 1% of Americans who received the overwhelming majority of the booty from this "original sin" - and whose descendants and/or beneficiaries still control our economy and thus, our government? Does the average "white" American (and the media that supposedly informs them) really know the truth but is scared to death to speak it to White Power?

RM

2 comments:

STUDIO MAINOR said...

Raceman,
As you know I have worked with white folks much of my professional life. And of course, navigating a world foreign to the one I grew up in has been both a chore and quite enlightening.

When you ask the question "Why," I think the range of answers are as vast as the number of white Americans that walk this land.

I am afraid that many, hopefully not most, don't give a rats behind. I see a mainstream (white) American populous that that is busy reaching out for the carrots put out by that 1% that you speak of and attacking with razor sharp elbows anyone (mostly other whites) that threatens to pass them. The remainder are voting for the next American Idol or Top Model of something silly like that.

Being old enough to have lived though a few recessions I see that once again, as the threshold of pain reaches the mainstream, the plundering of the 1% is a news story again. Black folk have been hurting for a while.

Sad to say, but I think instead of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission only a reality show will get their attention. America's Top Reparator?

Lowell said...

Mr. Mainor,

I think you might have something there. America's Top Reparator.

All we need now is a spon...oh, oh, forget about it.