Friday, April 04, 2008

WHY CAN'T WE ALL TALK ABOUT RACE?

Yo RaceMan,

I'm a fairly well-educated, well-paid African-American man who hangs out with a pretty multi-colored crew. But, whenever the topic of race or racism comes up, I notice that all my white friends get very quiet. Then if somebody presses them to say something, they get real nervous or defensive. What's that about?
Rodney


Hey Rod,
Some witty wag once said, "Whitefolks don't like to talk to blackfolks about race for the same reason chicken hawks don't like to talk to chickens about dinner".
(OK,OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I said it. But I thought it was a good line.)
Of course, I'm generalizing. There are "white" people who do talk about race...and talk very honestly. But you won't see them on any of the news shows (commercial or pbs). They have been effectively eliminated from public view by the people who own and run the networks - and who (if you haven't noticed) have an amazing resemblance to chicken hawks.
RM

No comments: