Monday, May 19, 2008

Aren't all American "races" responsible for America's atrocities?

RaceMan
"...Well whatever race one might belong to in U.S.A., it seems to me that every single citizen of this country is responsible for these atrocities [in Iraq] (including me as a non-permanent resident) whether they are playing their tunes on the black or white keys of Nixon's or Clinton's piano."
Dr. A

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor,
Thanks for your comment to my last post, "Is Hillary Clinton a Racist?" You made lots of interesting points but I want to respond to the one above and invite everyone who reads this to go to the comments section beneath the original post to read your full comments.

You mentioned that you are "a non-permanent resident", so you're not an American. Right? I'll assume for now you're nodding your head in the affirmative.

It's very hard for non-Americans to understand US - I 'd guess it would be just as difficult for most of us to understand your country. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of humans never, ever go beyond the borders of the country they're born, so it's a common human shortcoming. We all see the world through the eyes of an ant on a small beach. We think the whole planet is made of sand. (See, I can be a little philosophical myself).

But the U.S.A. has usually welcomed other ants, no matter where they're from. Although the reason for such openness has always had more to do with our oligarchs' desire for cheap labor than the "give me your tired, your poor..... blah, blah, blah" rhetoric on Lady Liberty, it's still true.

In fact, many believe that without this constant replenishing of our cultural gene-pool (as well as our labor pool), we couldn't be the dynamic, albeit seemingly out-of-control society we are. As much as I get on its case, I think pound-for- pound, ton-for-ton and acre-for-acre, citizens of the U.S. of A. have a lot of things to be happy about.

Too bad our current "leadership" isn't one of them.

In the U.S.A., because of our form of government, I agree we are all - "black", "brown", "yellow", "red", "white" and "other" - responsible to some extent for whatever it does in our name. But those of us who voted for certain "persons" we now call our leaders are more responsible than others. Hopefully we can correct their obvious mistake in the coming election.

Of course whoever wins, it will not be the end of our long history of failure to live up to our much touted, sporadically realized ideals. But it could be a new beginning in the right direction.

Can you say the same about your nation?
(This is not a rhetorical question. I really want to hear what you think).
RM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lowell has summarized my comment as follows: Aren't all American "races" responsible for America's atrocities?
I would put it this way: Are not all atrocities that U.S. has committed in the international realm are directly related to its domestic policy towards its racial minorities? Is not creating a perpetual 'evil' outsider unites citizens of all races in a simulation so as to eclipse the realities of African Americans and other races. In my following comment in coming dates I will argue that the focus, for this reason, should not be on nations, but on the tension between the privileged elites of any nation and their, what Judith Butler calls, 'constitutive outsider'. In a word: A perpetual, but domestically peaceful dependency...

Lowell said...

Dr. A,
Your perspective is obviously international. Just the very word strikes fear and loathing in the hearts of many Americans.

But, although my knowledge and point-of-view are mostly domestic, I'm very interested in what you say about our leaders "creating a perpetual 'evil' outsider" to unite the "races" here. Tell me more.

But please, please, please don't get too academic and esoteric on me. If you can give me references and examples thast the average educated American can relate to, you won't lose our readers...or me.
RM